Thursday, July 07, 2011

33 weeks, 3 days

Our weekly BPP and growth ultrasound was this morning. Both babies gained 10 ounces, so the girl is 3lbs 10oz, and the boy is 4lbs 14oz. While the weight gain isn't ideal for either, they gained enough to be allowed to stay in another week. The doctor said gaining about a pound in two weeks would be great, so we are hoping for that at the next growth scan. As for the BPP, they both performed wonderfully - breathing, wiggling, etc. They actually wiggled so much that it was difficult for the tech to get some of the measurements! As for the discordance, they still think it is partially due to gender differences, but also partially due to placental differences - the boy is just hogging the food.

The way these appointments work is first the tech does the ultrasound on both babies - measuring, watching, checking, etc. Then, they give a report to the doctor and the doctor usually comes in the room to give us the news. Well, this time, we were asked to go into the doctor's office. My heart jumped into my throat because I could only imagine bad news if she had to tell it to us in the office! Thankfully, I was (mostly) wrong!

The doctor also speculated about how much longer I could keep these babies baking. She seems to think I'll have them within the next few weeks. We talked about NICU time for babies born at 34 weeks (next week for me), which is anywhere from 3 days to 2 weeks. Delivery anytime after 34 weeks would be fine with her because the complications decrease drastically at 34 weeks. She said if I "miraculously" make it to 37 weeks (8/1), that is when I will likely deliver. She didn't seem too optimistic that I would make it that long. So, while I'm ready to meet these little babies, I know the longer they stay in, the better. What I have realized is that the little girl may not make it to my 5lb goal for her before delivery. These babies are going to be so tiny, such a difference from 8lb Ella and 7lb Anna!

2 comments:

Guyanne said...

But much like their 5 lb, 14 oz Mommy :)

Rebecca Stanton said...

I've never held a 5 lb baby---I don't know what that would even feel like! %lbs...that's just a few ounces over half of Cadence's birth weight. If you had them naturally and they both came out at the same time it'd be comparable to Cadence, lol. I am constantly sending positive vibes your way! Keep on cooking, babies. Oh yeah, and don't even think that you're an inconvenience to anyone! Everyone "involved" are "involved" because they love you! I wish we were close enough to help. Love you and thinking of you always!