Tuesday, July 26, 2011

July 26, 2011 - The Twins are born!

After a long morning of waiting and preparing ourselves, Chuck and I arrived at the hospital for the scheduled c-section at 11:30. The nurses hooked me up to monitors and an IV to get me ready for surgery. Then we began the wait. Our c-section was scheduled for 1:30, but my doctor had to attend to a few emergencies and was about an hour or so late. Fortunately, it gave mom a chance to get to the hospital before I went in to surgery; but it also meant that I had another hour to get nervous and anxious about the impending surgery and arrival of the babies.

When the doctor finally came in to tell us she was ready, everything seemed to move at light speed. After hours of waiting, it seemed to take no time at all to go to the operating room, get the spinal, lay down, and begin the operation.
After lots of waiting and tugging and pulling, little Mollie was born at 3:06pm. As soon as she came out, she screamed and cried so loud that I knew her lungs were working just fine. Before I could think too much about Mollie's health, Charlie was born and began his own chorus of cries at 3:07pm. Suddenly, the room was much noisier than it was just a few minutes before!

Mollie in her first moments of life.

Charlie moments after birth.My next concern was their health and weights. I sent Chuck to be with the babies as I anxiously awaited to hear how they were. Mollie was 4lbs 8oz and 16.5 in, and Charlie was 6lbs 4oz and 18in. Mollie's weight worried me, but both babies received apgar scores of 9. The doctors were concerned that Mollie wouldn't be able to hold her temperature because of her weight, so they swaddled the babies together and gave them to Chuck to snuggle up and keep warm.

Mollie isn't happy about being weighed.

Charlie is chunky compared to his sister!
Two sweet babies swaddled together.

I couldn't believe that the babies were just fine. I had prepared myself for the worst - time in the NICU away from me. But they would stay with us in the OR, then travel with us to recovery where I finally got to hold them both. The nurse recommended skin-to-skin time since they were both so small and my body heat could help keep them warm.


Nana was so happy to see and hold her newest grandbabies in the recovery room. We were so afraid she wouldn't be able to see them if they were sent to the NICU.
Here we are, happy to have our new additions.

Charles Julian Daniel Pearsall (Charlie)

Mollie Elizabeth Beatrice Pearsall (Mollie)Adorable babies. I'm so in love.
Our first visitor - Bethany with the babies.

No comments: