Friday, April 01, 2011

My symptoms were driving me crazy. I was well into the second trimester, and my morning sickness hadn't gone away as promised. I felt cheated. In addition, my heart began to "act funny" - racing, skipping beats, etc. So, I told the doctor of my symptoms at my 15 week appointment: nausea after eating, dizziness, heart issues. She immediately ordered a 24-hour holter monitor to record my heart activity. I was opposed to wearing it to say the least. I complained, questioned, even phoned after hours to make sure it was absolutely necessary. I had worn one while pregnant with Ella, and there were no abnormalities. But, to appease the doctor and my family, I went ahead with it. Not surprisingly, there were no problems. Great, I thought, what a waste of my time and comfort. I still had no answers about what was going on with my symptoms (we would soon find out the true cause), though I did start to feel a bit better as I headed into my 16th and 17th week.

One thing nagged at me, though. I wanted to know the sex of our new addition! I brought up having an elective ultrasound several times to Chuck, friends, and family. I heard the same thing time and again - "Just wait a few more weeks until your scheduled ultrasound on March 31." Fine, I thought. But there was this great SALE coming up, and I was dying to start buying stuff for our new little one.

Finally, on the Thursday of the big Kentucky Kids sale (3/17), I couldn't take it anymore and scheduled an elective ultrasound at Precious View 3D/4D Ultrasound in Bowling Green. They were the least expensive, and the only place who could work me in on such short notice. I asked Mom to go, but she didn't want to go all the way to Bowling Green; but when I asked Minnie, she jumped on the chance to see the baby! At the last minute, Mom called and said she decided to go (thank goodness!) because she wasn't doing anything else anyway. So, that night, Chuck, Mom, Minnie, Ella, Anna, and I all piled in the van to go take a peek at our little one. At the last moment, we decided to splurge for the 4D package and have a DVD made of the entire ultrasound, and I am so glad we did.

No comments: