Tuesday, February 03, 2009

Ella had a tonsillectomy/adenoidectomy on Thursday, January 29. She was upset when they took her away - the silly juice did not work (versed?) at all. When she woke up, the nurse came to get us, and I heard her crying for Mommy as soon as we entered the recovery area. She was disoriented, crying, and bleeding. Chuck warned me not to cry when I saw her, and I struggled, but succeeded in keeping my composure. She drank some juice, ate a popsicle, and we were sent on our way.


On our way home, Ella fell asleep. For the first time in 3 years, she didn't snore...
Ella's recovery has been rough. She felt great the first day and ate, drank, and played her heart out. Days 2-4, weren't so great. She ran a fever from 100ish-102ish for a few days. She was barely concious and would only wake up so I could make her drink and take her medicine. I knew if I just let her sleep, she would get dehydrated quickly, so I woke her up every 15-30 minutes to drink. Meanwhile, our power was out and this whole recovery process was at Minnie's.
She finally perked up a little on Day 5, and we are now on Day 6 after surgery. The delivery of balloons and a teddy bear from Hawaii helped, but she is still just kind of laying around. She felt well enough to play a little yesterday and today thanks to Nana's great idea to have a tea party. We are still on the road to recovery, but she is on the upswing now, I think.

Oh yeah, her breath smells like when a dog eats something dead and then comes to breathe it all over you. And she hasn't pooped since last Wednesday. Don't worry, I've called the doctor no less than 3 times to ask about every little thing and we are doing all the right stuff for her. ;)

The silver lining to all this ice mess (other than becoming closer to Bethany, Zac, Stella, and Minnie) is that it has allowed me to stay home with Ella longer than I originally planned, which is what she (and I) needed.

More updates to come.

No comments: